What is DiscoverEU?
DiscoverEU is an action of the Erasmus+ programme that gives you the opportunity to discover Europe through learning experiences. Travelling predominantly by rail (there are exceptions to allow those living on islands or in remote areas), you will discover Europe’s stunning landscapes and its variety of cities and towns. You can apply during the two application rounds which take place each year. Successful applicants are awarded with a travel pass.
As an 18-year-old resident of the European Union or of one of the third countries associated to the Erasmus+ Programme like Iceland, Liechtenstein, North Macedonia, Norway, Serbia and Turkey, DiscoverEU offers you the opportunity to participate in a travel experience that will enable you to explore Europe’s diversity, learn about its cultural heritage and history, and connect with people from all over the continent. Furthermore, DiscoverEU enables you, as a young person, to develop life skills of value to your future, such as independence, confidence, and openness to other cultures.
NEW! As of 2022, the selected participants will receive a DiscoverEU discount card with discounts on cultural visits, learning activities, sports, local transportation, accommodation, food etc.
What is covered financially?
The cost of the rail ticket is covered & you will be given two options.
Fixed: travel between 2 Countries or 2 Cities in 1 Country.
Flexi: as many countries as you can fit in up to 30 days. (At least one Country other than your home Country)
How to apply: –
- DiscoverEU gives young people age 18 the opportunity to Interrail around Europe for up to 1 month (30 days)
- Young people can apply to travel alone or in groups of 5 @ https://europa.eu/youth/discovereu_en
- To enter in the general deadline you will be asked to complete a 5 question quiz
- When the application process closes you will receive an answer by email, good luck☺
How does it work: –
You will have 7 travel days max in the 30 day period;
For example: depart Ireland to France = 1 travel day. Stay in France for 3 days then depart France to Spain = 2nd Travel day
General deadlines for Young People;
- April 7th; allows travel between 01/07/22 & 30/06/23
- October 4th; allows travel between 01/03/23 & 28/02/24
If you missed the deadline, the process starts again next year for the next group of 18 year old’s.