Are Drugs or Alcohol causing problems for you?
Do you feel pressurised to drink or take drugs? Does a loved one’s alcohol or drug use cause problems in your life?
The KDYS Community Based Drugs initiatives in Killarney & Listowel aim to work with those most at risk from drug and alcohol misuse in Kerry. This service is open to people of all ages. Our Project Workers will meet with you in a safe and confidential setting to discuss any concerns you may have. Trying a drug/alcohol once is harmless right? Not exactly, for some, dependency can be obvious from the very first time of using alcohol or a drug. Be informed and hopefully you will make the right choices. Information leaflets on drugs and alcohol are available at all the KDYS centres throughout the county. Drug and alcohol addiction are not new problems, but unfortunately, they are persistent ones.
Here are some indicators that suggest you or your friend may have a problem;
- Poor health or appearance
- Problems at school/work
- Behavioural changes – not maintaining relationships, being secretive, antisocial behaviour
- Needing money without any obvious reason
The KDYS Community based drugs projects offers the following:
- One-to-One support sessions for clients in safe and confidential environment.
- A network of professionals and local agencies for the benefit of the client.
- Assist the person in setting realistic goals
- Referrals for those in need of treatment, education or training as appropriate
- Confidential support for family and others who are concerned and whose lives are impacted by a person’s alcohol/drug use.
- Education and prevention – to reduce the likelihood of substance abuse by offering various supports to all affected by alcohol/drug abuse.
- The Community Based Drugs Initiative is here to help so please don’t be shy in making contact. It is a free, confidential, non-judgemental service.
If you are concerned about your own drink/drug habits or those of a loved one, please pick up the telephone and call one of our Community drugs workers today.
Deirdre Nagle is based in KDYS Killarney, telephone 085 8501296
Ger Lowe is based in KDYS Listowel, telephone 087 9263803
These projects are managed by the KDYS, funded by the Health Service Executive and supported by the SRD&ATF and a local advisory committee.
Here are HSE publications that may answer some of your questions. Click on the image to view the leaflet.
As well as talking to a KDYS youth worker you can find advice and information on line at
Cork Drugs give an over view of various types of addictive substances and their risks.
Spun-out offer free non judgmental advice to young people around a host of issue they may be experiencing including those around drugs and alcohol.
Drugs.ie offers advice for parents and carers of those affected by drug and alcohol misuse as well as offering advice to those suffering from addiction issues.