Fair Recruitment Process
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities means that we wish to ensure that every applicant is treated fairly. The information you provide in your application form is the only information we will use in deciding whether or not you will be shortlisted for an interview and it will be used as a basis for the interview itself.
Your application is therefore very important and the following advice is designed to help you complete it as effectively as possible.
A Your Application
You should receive the following:-
(NB: Please read the job details and person specification carefully)
1. Job Description
This outlines the main duties of the post and includes some information about KDYS and the context of the job.
2. Personnel Specification
Every vacancy advertised is based on a person specification which lists the skills, abilities, qualifications and experience we are looking for. Please look at this carefully so that you know what the job involves and the range of expertise required. Ask yourself why you are interested in the job.
3. Application Form – How to fill it in
- Complete your application form electronically or in black ink using block capitals, as it needs to be photocopied.
- After reading the person specification and job details think carefully about your application and consider to what extent you have the skills and experience necessary for the post.
- Please note that we cannot accept CVs for shortlisting. All candidates are required to complete KDYS’s application form in full so that we receive the same type of information from all applicants and so that you directly address the selection criteria.
- Please complete all sections of the form.
- The Employment section gives you the opportunity to tell us about the work you are doing now or have done in the past. Always remember to specify your responsibilities rather than those of your section or department.
- The Education/Training section asks for the relevant training and qualifications, which you have undertaken or achieved. Please mention qualifications and/or training (if any), which are relevant to the job for which you have applied.
- The Information in support of your application section is a very important part of the application. Please use it to tell us how you think you meet each of the selection criteria listed on the person specification. Do remember that experience can be gained from current or previous employment, community or voluntary work, experience gained in the home and through leisure interests.
- Please use each of the criteria as a heading and demonstrate how you feel you meet each requirement. If you fail to do this you are unlikely to be shortlisted.
- The most important thing to remember is to tell us how you think you meet each of the criteria listed. We are unable to guess or make assumptions. Your application form is all we have to decide if you are suitable for the post.
- Make note of the closing date and time for applications and return your form before that date. Remember to keep a copy of the form for yourself.
please return the completed form to:
or Human Resources Department, KDYS, Fair Hill, Killarney, Co Kerry
- Application forms received after the closing date and time will not be accepted
- Candidates must ensure that applications are posted in sufficient time to guarantee arrival not later than the latest time stipulated for acceptance.
- Application forms that are incomplete or not completed correctly using the attached guidelines will not be accepted.
- Please ensure that the declaration is signed by you prior to submission of the application
B Our Recruitment Process
|Shortlisting||After the closing date, all application forms are read to see how each person’s skills and experience relate to the post being applied for, i.e. how they match the person specification. Applicants who meet these requirements most closely are invited for an interview.|
|Interviews||The interview panel is normally made up of a minimum of 2 people who will ask a number of pre-determined questions. Everyone who is interviewed will be asked the same basic questions. There may also be supplementary questions based on the information you have given us in your application form. The questions are intended to allow you to expand on your application form and to show the panel how well you meet the requirements of the job. For some jobs there may also be a presentation in addition to the formal interview.You will have the opportunity at the interview to ask questions about the job, conditions of service or anything else you need to know about KDYS.The panel has to keep a record of their assessment of each candidate so that the reasons for their decisions are clear, consistent and justifiable.|
|Complaints||If you feel that you have been treated unfairly, please write to us and we will investigate. We try very hard to ensure that every stage in our recruitment process is fair and properly thought out. We have a duty to ensure that you are treated fairly and helpfully even if you are not appointed. If you wish to discuss why you have been unsuccessful, please let us know and an appropriate person will provide you with any feedback which you may require.|
|References||The KDYS reserves the right to seek both written and verbal references from current and previous employers, educational institutions or any other organisations with which the candidate has been associated. The KDYS also reserves the right to determine the merit, appropriateness and relevance of such references and referees. Please note: Candidates are requested not to submit written references with their application form.|
|Garda Clearance||In accordance with Government policy the KDYS will seek, as part of the selection process, Garda Clearance in respect of candidates. You will receive specific instructions on this process at the appropriate time.|
|Offer of Employment and Appointment||It should be noted that no offer of employment is made, or should be interpreted as having been made, until the KDYS formally offers a contract of employment.A person will not be appointed to a position until a signed contract is returned to the HR department.|